Insurance Business forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Insurance Business | 23 Jun 2017, 07:07 AM Agree 0
With pot legalization in Canada, the statistics south of the border are worth paying attention to
  • cpt obvious | 23 Jun 2017, 03:29 PM Agree 0
    Terrible study that would not pass any peer review. They don't factor in what the uptick is on mariguana use is even or any data on increased fines or confictions of driving under the influance.

It sounds like the only two thing they looked at what year over year change and legalization and are not correcting for any other factor that could explain or not explain teh change. Sloppy!
    • Mike | 23 Jun 2017, 03:52 PM Agree 0
      They have, actually, compared to surrounding states and factored cars on road etc. They are simply stating the fact - in states where MJ use is legalised, car crash incidences are up when compared to states where it is not. They have been careful not to say that it is MJ use that's been shown to cause the results
  • Andy | 25 Jun 2017, 10:37 PM Agree 0
    There are lots of reason that causes accident, we need to have a proper reinforcement of the law. I myself has been part of the collision years ago because of the drunk driver, I am just lucky enough that I have the right insurance from JS Downey Insurance Services or else I will be half dead. I think, certain laws need to be implement well and having a right coverage will be a big help of many individuals.
  • Travelin' Mike | 26 Jun 2017, 09:39 AM Agree 0
    The fact that there are states that could be called a 'control group' helps eliminate any other factors that would have been common to both sets of states (e.g., inclement weather, gas prices, etc.) and this does single out legalization as the probable cause.

That being said, what isn't proven is whether consumption increased or the mind-set changed and more consumers felt is was safer to drive after toking (or shortly after). We need to better understand this and prepare for it as Canada embarks on legalization.
Post a reply