by Brodie Bott
RSA’s Waterproof Coverage specifically caters to homeowners who need clear advice to help them assess property needs, and offers them added confidence that their homes are covered for any flood-related damage. This launch is part of our ongoing commitment to brokers, to equip them with the relevant resources to support their planning with customers.
To offer our customers greater choice we offer coverage that protects property from damage resulting from sewer back-up, sump pump or septic malfunction. In addition, Waterproof Coverage has enhanced protection against damage caused by freshwater flooding and damage caused by eaves, downspouts and drains.
Tips to help your clients protect their homes in the future:
- Stay away from electrical wires
- Raise any personal belongings that you have stored in the basement off the floor to prevent water damage
- Through a licensed electrician and in accordance with the local building code, raise the main circuit breaker or fuse box 2 metres above flood level in your area
- Install backflow valves or backflow prevention device to prevent sewer backups (check with local building codes for further information)
- If you have a sump pump, test it regularly. A backup sump pump would be beneficial
- Ensure downspouts extend well away from the foundation. They should never be directed into your weeping tile system
- Ensure proper drainage around your home - consider adding top soil with a minimum 5 degree slope away from your home
- Ensure basements are free of cracks, roofs are structurally sound, decks and window and door frames are properly sealed
- While most home insurance policies cover damage from water, there are certain exceptions, so property owners should check with their insurance providers to ensure they are covered in the event of water damage
RSA’s Climate Smart resource hub can help provide information for consumers on the small actions they can take to reduce the risk of personal property damage. Visit http://www.rsagroup.ca/water
for insights, tools and more.