Commercial lines account executive
Smith Petrie Carr & Scott Insurance Brokers
WHY HOT? SELECTED YOUNG BROKER OF THE YEAR
2013 had many personal milestones for me. Being a director with the Ottawa Insurance Brokers Association, I organized and planned our annual Open House Tradeshow, which brings out 700+ insurance professionals to network, showcase, and just get together for the evening. It is our biggest event of the year and is a great opportunity for Brokers, Insurers, and Associated Companies to get together.
Also, in June, a team of 15 insurance professionals boarded a plane to Peru to climb Machu Picchu. This was a charity event where our team raised over $150,000 for seven local charities through the Dream Mountains organization here in Ottawa. Our team raised the money, paid our own way and spent two weeks in Peru, complete with a five-day hike up and down the ancient Inca Trail to the amazing Machu Picchu.
I am currently an Insurance Ambassador for the Insurance Institute, which allows me to speak with Grade 10 students, post-secondary students, and young adults about the possibilities within the insurance industry and how exciting it can be. All of the above helped me to be nominated, and win the Young Broker of the Year award from the IBAO.
What products or upsells are drawing client interest?
There are two big concerns when it comes to client’s insurance products (commercial). One is the overall limit of liability. Man are asking, ‘Do I have enough liability?’ so we are seeing higher limits and increasing general liability with respect to commercial insurance.
Also, cyber liability is a growing concern and is being shown in the media more and more. Clients are asking about cyber coverage and, although not necessarily getting the coverage, it is generating the conversation and opening the door.
What needs to be changed in the insurance industry?
The biggest change that needs to happen in the insurance industry is the negative stigma that persists. Everyone perceives insurance as an old and aging industry.
As a young broker and an insurance ambassador, I hope to work with other young brokers, with IBAO, with my brokerage to help showcase that, yes, the older generation is in the industry but the industry is changing with the up and coming young generation.
Commercial Lines Account Executive, Smith Petrie Carr and Scott Insurance Brokers Ltd. (2005)
- Corporate Sales Representative, Rogers Wireless Express (2009-2010)
- Program Coordinator- Ontario Northeast, Mosaic Sales Solutions (2007-2008)
- Marketing Manager/Producer, Kenny Insurance Brokers Ltd. (2005-2008)
|Years of Experience:
Over 5 years of experience in the insurance industry
- Director on the Ottawa Insurance Brokers Association
- Business Breakfast Club (BBC)
- Former Chair of SPCS Charity Committee
- Chair of SPCS Social Committee
- Insurance Ambassador, Insurance Institute
- Canadian Accredited Insurance Broker (C.A.I.B.)
- Honours Bachelor of Commerce, Sprott School of Business (Carleton University) (2004-2008)
- Honours Bachelor of Commerce, Marketing (Int'l Exchange), Strathclyde University (2006-2007)
- Registered Insurance Brokers of Ontario, Mohawk College (2005)
To read the full feature, click on the following link Insurance Business Hot List 2014