We use cookies to improve this site and enable full functionality. You can change your cookie settings at any time using your browser. Our cookie policy.

Forum

Insurance Business forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Insurance Business | 18 Nov 2016, 11:25 AM Agree 0
Some see it as a clean and healthy way to travel, while others see them as a nuisance to road users
  • insurance guy | 18 Nov 2016, 03:48 PM Agree 0
    from an insurance standpoint, how much damage are these cyclists causing, when they run into the back of a parked car? and how is that any different from having your car dinged by a rogue shopping cart or car door? what company would be selling $0 deductible policies for what would obviously be a low-severity, high frequency exposure? but "According to McDermott, he created the petition on the back of seeing a news report in which it was revealed that police in the West Midlands were targeting drivers that were not giving cyclists sufficient room on the road when passing them." says it all. this whole idea was cooked up by some jerk with an ax to grind, and it should be ignored.
    • disgusted | 18 Nov 2016, 04:15 PM Agree 0
      I totally agree with you insurance guy!!! This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of!
  • Its all about sharing | 18 Nov 2016, 04:38 PM Agree 0
    Like many people Owen McDermott would be better spending his time with a petition against those who 'AVOID PAYING TAX', once that's achieved we could think about others.
  • US cyclist | 18 Nov 2016, 06:15 PM Agree 0
    As a cyclist in the US, safety and insurance are still valid concerns. While I have yet to hear of a case where a cyclist has killed the operator of an automobile or truck, I have been hit by a car driven by a careless driver when I was in a designated bicycle lane. In the US, many cyclists fail to ride with appropriate caution while sadly more drivers fail to drive safely near cyclists (even when those cyclists are riding in a legal manner). In the US, homeowners general liability insurance usually covers bad acts by a cyclist although I would personally support insurance tailored to cycling.

Operators of cars should consider the history of paved roads: pavement was developed for bicycles.

As far as a road use tax on cyclists is concerned, it only makes sense if the debris left by auto accidents and other non-cycling activities is removed.
  • Name not supplied | 21 Nov 2016, 01:14 PM Agree 0
    I agree some sort of training with a certificate test should be undertaken and charge. Too many cyclists seem to have the attitude that they can do what they like (jump lights, cycle two abreast causing queues behind them, pull across the roads with no proper signalling or looking behind them). Many ignore cycle paths were they are available and continue to hold other traffic up.
  • Texas Road Rider | 21 Nov 2016, 09:57 PM Agree 1
    If and when cyclists can be assured that they have the same benefit of the road as a motorists, including vehicle-bike separation and safety, then I might be convinced. The cyclist assumes most of the exposure and is more likely to be injured or killed by automobile drivers, not the reverse. If a cyclist disregards the law or assumes they have more right than what the automobile operators allows, the cyclist will pay the bigger price, including with their life. Motor vehicles almost always assume the cyclist has no real right to the road and most drive that way. This insurance law will not change behavior of either party. We need more courtesy on both sides of the road.
  • Australia - Victoria | 28 Nov 2016, 03:37 AM Agree 0
    In Victoria we pay in our car registration for Transport Accident Cover (TAC), which is totally separate to our Motor Vehicle Insurance premiums (Vehicle & Liability cover). All drivers and road users, who make claims for personal injury are cared for under the TAC umbrella. Cyclists should be contributing to this premium, as they are huge claimers of it, for more serious injuries, than car drivers. Cyclists also cause accidents and are not made accountable, unless you can run after and catch the person. Their bikes should be insured, just like any property is, whether it be added to a home contents policy or separate other and yes public liability should be included as well. Should they break the law and go through red lights, red arrows, appear on freeways (clearly marked, no bikes) cut across pedestrian crossings from the road, etc. then they should be fined and this reported to their insurer, just like car drivers do, with our Drivers' Licence Demerit Point System. The above should definitely apply to any business which uses a bush-bike as their "tool of trade", as Couriers and the alike are the worst offenders!
Post a reply