Forum

Insurance Business forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Insurance Business | 07 Sep 2017, 07:39 AM Agree 0
Auto dealers association thinks insurers may be overreacting – some dealers claim they have had to stop selling cars
  • Kim | 07 Sep 2017, 09:10 AM Agree 0
    I think the auto dealers association may be overreacting if the companies are just not writing new policies. Wouldn't the majority of car buyers already have existing auto policies to which the newly purchased vehicles could be added?
    • JT | 13 Sep 2017, 04:39 PM Agree 0
      Allstate will not transfer a policy. We bought a used car and had it shipped and our old car picked up on the same day last Thursday before the hurricane. We called to transfer the policy and could not do it due to the moratorium on new policies. I don't understand it.
  • Kirk | 07 Sep 2017, 09:47 AM Agree 0
    Exactly what I was thinking Kim. If you have a drivers license the insurance should be in place and you switch out or replace the current auto with the newly purchased auto. Unless you are in need of a car to evacuate I doubt shopping for a new car would be on anyone's to do list this week in FL.
  • MS | 07 Sep 2017, 12:04 PM Agree 0
    Agreed. This does not impact current insurance policy holders that are simply adding or trading for a new car. I suspect this will be a low number of potential true buyers unless you are a shady dealer.
    The only restriction is to completely new policies - to stop those that don't typically carry insurance. Those people that obtain insurance and then just turn around and drop it costing the industry millions if not more in losses. These people play the game and it hurts the industry for those that carry regular protection. I kind of think the dealers business will be impacted just because of all of it. The last thing most people have on their mind when evacuating for their life is oh yea lets go buy a car.
  • mj | 07 Sep 2017, 01:05 PM Agree 0
    You CAN NOT make any changes to an existing policy or purchase a new policy as long as the restriction is in place. I know this because I work for one of the companies mentioned. People will try to add vehicles that have just been sitting in the yard to attempt to get a payout due to this storm or they will reduce the deductibles on their current coverage to get a bigger payout. You would be amazed at how people try to scheme an insurance company. It's a business decision for the company to protect themselves. They should not have to pay out thousands of dollars for a car when a customer may have only paid $100 in premium
    • Manasseh | 07 Sep 2017, 01:26 PM Agree 0
      Actually, wouldn't those folks with a current policy have automatic coverage under their PAP for a new or replacement vehicle? In fact, despite the companies saying they will not allow changes to be made, if you follow policies guidelines for adding a newly purchased vehicle and notify the company, the insurance company would have a whale of time denying coverage since I do not believe the PAP makes exceptions for automatic coverage for when the company is in fear of a possible future natural occurrence.
  • cas | 08 Sep 2017, 03:58 PM Agree 0
    Progressive will not let you add a new vehicle to exhisting policy. I tried today on a vehicle to be bought new from a dealer in Atlanta but titles and registered in Florida.
  • Kayla | 08 Sep 2017, 11:57 PM Agree 0
    I went to get a car today. Allstate isn't letting me add to my current policy. I live in North Carolina. I know the hurricane could come but I just wanted to add one car to my policy. I didn't even need collision.
  • Andrew B | 10 Sep 2017, 07:50 AM Agree 0
    I purchased a new car in Virginia yesterday I have an existing policy with All State. The new car is still on the dealership lot as All State would not honor the change or allow the 30 waiver to be used.
    so there it sits until the storm is done. Absolutely bad form!
  • | 12 Sep 2017, 08:47 AM Agree 0
    Bought a new car before we even knew the hurricane was coming. My agent was on vaca and then I tried to get another agent to help right in the same office...only to be told now they could not make the change of removing the old car and putting on the new car because now there was a moritorium.

So my policy says my old car. I traded it in. I have a new car. It can't be put on the policy yet.

When I call or email the Allstate office I use, I get no refines.

And I wait to hear of the moritorium to be lifted so I can follow thru on procedure. And am advised NOT to drive my new car!

STUPID!!

• | 13 Sep 2017, 05:33 PM Agree 0
      typo... replies.
      Finally, got a reply.. cannot drive my new car till moratorium is lifted and my car is put on my policy removing the old one I traded in.
      So I sit.. not driving my new car.
  • TamB | 12 Sep 2017, 11:53 AM Agree 0
    Moratorium has been lifted in NC for Allstate. I think I had 3 people want to make car changes since last Wednesday. It is NOT a big deal and ultimately it has been done to PROTECT the consumer from having to pay even higher rates due to claim payout. When insurance companies TRY to help keep rates down, we are beat up just like when rates go up. We can't win for losing!
  • Ian | 15 Sep 2017, 12:23 PM Agree 0
    Been a customer for 16 years and I cannot add another vehicle to my existing auto insurance policy which consists of three vehicles. Car was purchased on the 5th (before they implemented the moratorium) but did not call until the 6th. Today is the 15th and they are STILL not allowing me to add the new vehicle to my existing policy. The storm passed 5 days ago. My local agent cannot, the national (toll free number) can't and also cannot do it online. I just do not understand. and they wonder why they lose customers. It is not as though I am trying to file a claim.
  • Unhappy Allstate customer | 15 Sep 2017, 09:23 PM Agree 0
    Same here... nonsense. I am in NJ and traded my lease 2014 BMW for a 2017. I called Allstate to find out that they cannot make any changes to my policy. I am being told that if something happens, they won't cover the new lease. Ridiculous. The BMW dealership is in NJ, not Florida. Nope. Sorry. Can't help you. Allstate did not even bothered to send a mass email to their customers informing of the moratorium. Paying for a car that I can't used and paying for two monthly lease payments too until I can get Allstate to get their act together. At least the dealership allowed me to drive my old car since they had not "push the button" that I had surrender my old lease car. I think Allstate should at least allowed to add the car if the dealership is 1300 miles away from my Florida and the paperwork is handled by a BMW financial with 40 miles on the odometer.
  • | 16 Sep 2017, 12:57 PM Agree 0
    Called Allstate today have an existing policy and they will not let you add a new car or make any changes.

Called both local agent and corporate.

So dealers are screwed.
Post a reply