Forum

Insurance Business forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Insurance Business | 16 Feb 2017, 07:02 PM Agree 0
GOP considering major tax change to help finance Obamacare replacement
  • ssfrito | 16 Feb 2017, 07:55 PM Agree 0
    Tax the costly health benefits given to all those federal elected officials who have never paid a dime for it. Also, why should those company employees who receive healthcare benefits from their employers not have to pay income tax on the financial health insurance benefit they are receiving? Everyone else pays income taxes on the full amount they pay for health insurance benefits.
  • Douglas Shaffer | 16 Feb 2017, 08:00 PM Agree 0
    For High Health Care cost States like Alaska this would be a crippling blow to any affordable health care other than that provided by a Union or Government Entity, rate now premiums are rising so fast that even the most basic health plan will be subject to a Cadillac Tax in seven to 10 years an average families medical premium cost will equal their disposable income.
  • sbrensinger | 17 Feb 2017, 08:43 AM Agree 0
    They worry about businesses not providing health insurance for the employees by taxing it but where our main office is, they have already started dropping employer paid health insurance. They slightly increased their employees hourly rate and had the employees get their own insurance. I don't think taxing it is going to help but with rates continuing to rise as they are employers are already taking that option. If they can come up with a better system that cuts down this continued increase in premium year to year and then tax it I don't think they will be in any worse shape and possibly better then they are now.
  • bjung | 17 Feb 2017, 10:23 AM Agree 0
    My husband doesn't get his health insurance through his employer and we take the premiums as a deduction at the end of the year. So how does that make the playing field unequal? Or am I misunderstanding? I'm reading them say people who don't get their plans through an employer are taxed, while employees are not,. But if you are writing them off at the end of the year, there seems to be little difference to me.
Post a reply