Forum

Insurance Business forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Insurance Business | 01 Feb 2013, 12:05 AM Agree 0
Where do your insurance broking earnings rank compared to those of your peers? Would you be better off working in the waste services industry? Discover the nation’s best and worst paid industries...
  • Ex BDM now Broker | 01 Feb 2013, 11:25 AM Agree 0
    You need little to no qualifications to work in the electricity, gas, water and waste services sectors or little in the way of brain power anyway...No wonder our economy is stuffed when the highest earners are uneducated cashed up blue collar bogans! The organised crooks, sorry I mean unions no doubt will want more money for their members at the next EBA negotiations, no wonder Gina is bringing in foreign labour as the wages for those sectors make our economy uncompetitive!
  • Account Broker | 01 Feb 2013, 11:46 AM Agree 0
    Ex DMB now Broker
    Clearly you have very little idea of it entails to work in the mining industry. To gain employment it is a requirement to have a tertiary education in the trade you wish to engage in and or a degree in Engineering is mandatory. Driver’s of heavy plant require a HR licence as a minimum and that’s even to be short listed for the role. I would suggest you do some research prior to labelling all blue colour workers as bogans.
  • Robert Cooper | 01 Feb 2013, 12:26 PM Agree 0
    There is such a huge difference in wages from the lowest end to senior management. To average it out is misleading. I could spend ten years earning an average of $500 a week working for someone else, go out and start my own business as an AR using those years experience and build up to at least $2,000 to $3,000 per week wages very quickly. How can an average be an accurate guide? Some Corporate Brokers earn even larger amounts.
  • Tony | 01 Feb 2013, 12:53 PM Agree 0
    Ex BDM now Broker, with that attitude you'll be back to BDM in no time!!!! Overall I'm sure the average earnings of Insurance Brokers would be very close to the top of tree in the financial services sector. Mind you, we deserve it!!!
  • Dean | 01 Feb 2013, 02:53 PM Agree 0
    @ Ex BDM now Broker
    Sorry mate but your comment is way off the mark. I have been working in various insurance positions for the past 20 years but for 4 of those years I worked for a major Electricity Distributor in Melbourne in Claims & Complaints. Fair enough, there are no more education requirements for their entry level office positions which is no different to most insurers but I can tell you as a matter of fact that the people running the show are highly qualified from lawyers, MBAs, Accountants and Engineers and not to mention the ridiculously high level of initial and ongoing training the Linies have to endure. I remember one incident I attended where I looked up and saw one of the HV guys holding either end of a live 22kv power line whilst it was being repaired. Yes he had all the proper protective gear, including big bulky gloves and such but I would be interested to know if you would be keen for such a job?
  • Ex BDM now Broker | 01 Feb 2013, 03:29 PM Agree 0
    The key point i was making was regarding the Blue collar side of these positions, which we could fill at half the cost using foreign labour and funny thing is they would do a better job!

Australia over pays/values the blue collar sector hence we have rising building costs and house pricing…simply reduce the costs of buildings by reducing wages of many of these blue collar workers.
  • Regional Broker | 04 Feb 2013, 02:43 PM Agree 0
    @ Ex BDM now Broker.
    For the most part, wages are determined by the market. The value that is placed on a position is what company's are prepared to pay. When there is a shortage of skill, the value increases, just like any other commodity.

If you think blue collar workers are over paid, try it. Spending a scorching 44 degree day trying to get a frame up square is not what I'd call an ideal work environment.
  • Ex BDM now Broker | 05 Feb 2013, 01:56 PM Agree 0
    @ Regional Broker
    Pretty sure the walk off is 38 degrees....not 44 degrees...but hey lets hope it doesn't rain so they can go home early.
Post a reply