Forum

Insurance Business forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Insurance Business | 05 Aug 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
For many, the humble email has turned from an efficient mode of communication to an endless torrent of irrelevant reply-all messages and high priority spam. Could banning email altogether be the answer?
  • Scott | 05 Aug 2013, 09:40 AM Agree 0
    If 2/3rds of his email are coming from 3 staff, then he either has a limited client base, or 3 very high maintenance staff.

I don't think a modern insurance brokerage could work without emails - if only because insurers email renewals to us, clients contact us out of work hours & claims notifications are sent promptly to us.

Mail as an alternative is neither fast or reliable.
  • Gary Everdell | 05 Aug 2013, 09:58 AM Agree 0
    There are and have been times , when rather than just "flick of yet another e-mail" I've thought about actually making the phone call instead.

I think there are certainly times when its quicker to call a client + most will appreciatet he fact that you did bother and you can always ask some general questions about them and the busienss , and if they have the time will engage with you.

You never know what you learn , when you ask open ended questions ?
  • Koert Slik | 06 Aug 2013, 11:34 AM Agree 0
    We make it an imperative to pick up the phone and chat with our stakeholders. Sure send an email and attach that vital document then call and discuss its content.

With marketing activities it's amazing what can be learned from simply calling prospects or making the effort for personal introductions.

With colleagues, pop in and chat with them. Emails are subject to interpretation by the recipient and depending on their mindset, the actual meaning through the use of written language may convey something quite extraordinarily different to what is was meant to convey.

Auto spell check adds to the difficulty when we try to convey our message in written form even if it sometimes results in a somewhat humorous outcome. So if it has to be an email, check the language. Further, read what you are about to send then consider whether a call would better suit the situation.

Post a reply