Forum

Insurance Business forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Insurance Business | 27 Apr 2015, 08:30 AM Agree 0
Millions of Australians are using dash-cams every day. Do they deserve a discount on their insurance?
  • Scott | 27 Apr 2015, 10:32 AM Agree 0
    What about discounts for Vehicles with Forward (and in some cars Reverse) Collision Monitoring systems? These systems automatically recognise any pending collision, then take over the car from the driver, bringing it to a stop.
  • Greg Cottrell - Insurance Professional Dinosaur | 30 Apr 2015, 04:10 PM Agree 0
    Do dash cams really give a proper perspective......?
    I was following a lady driver for some distance through the eastern burbs of Brisbane yesterday whereby on a number of occasions refused to give way to merging traffic and when there was space sped up so that vehicle looked like it was cutting her off. Each time this happened she checked her "windscreen mounted camera" to make sure she got the footage outcome she was looking for.
    As my view was much broader seeing the whole scenario unfold which showed her as the aggressor, but her camera footage will only give a limited view of her as the victim of someone appearing to be cutting her off.
    Benefits to Insurers???, I don't think so, it won't stop stupidity which causes most accidents, only make drivers more arrogant & aggressive then they already are.
  • dash dude | 16 Jun 2016, 03:31 PM Agree 0
    I think Greg does not understand what a zipper merge is, if she sped up to stop a car merging the footage would show that ... so it would not portray her as a victim. Regardless of this scenario, even if a camera does not record the full story but only part, it is still more than what you had with out it.
    My wife was hit in a T intersection by an idiot running a red light. He admitted it at the scene to her and the cops and he apologised, but then still tried to get out of it when it came to admitting guilt to his insurance company who then proceeded to lay the blame on my wife and created a big dispute which went on for a couple of months putting her under a lot of unnecessary stress as she knew she was in the right but was failing to prove it. Finally when one of the insurance companies discovered that an infringement notice had been issued to him for running a red light did they accept he was to blame. A dashcam would have saved a lot of time and trouble (and money for both the insurance companies with the amount of effort they put into the dispute)
    - we have since purchased 2, one for each of our vehicles.
    I do believe that some discount should be given if a camera is installed in a vehicle.
Post a reply