Insurance Business forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Insurance Business | 10 Nov 2015, 08:54 AM Agree 0
Changes to the insurance industry around driverless cars will not be the ‘death knell’ of the industry, one expert has said, with specific advice for brokers.
  • Bob | 10 Nov 2015, 09:55 AM Agree 0
    Even if driverless cars don't crash we have still have hail storms, bush fires, theft, vandalism and other potential losses that owners will need and want insurance for.
  • Paul | 10 Nov 2015, 12:23 PM Agree 0
    Why on earth would you allow a robot to drive a car. It is incomprehensible unless we have arrived at an Orwellian dystopia where all individual decisions are taken out of play to satisfy the nanny state's urge to control everything.
  • Steve | 13 Nov 2015, 12:23 PM Agree 0
    If they cant build reliable laptops then there is no chance of them building reliable driverless vehicles
  • Anton | 15 Nov 2015, 02:58 AM Agree 0
    Certainly in the UK market, theft, fire a d vandalism are tiny perils from a cost perspective when compared with third party damage and personal injury
  • John | 16 Nov 2015, 10:14 AM Agree 0
    In response to Paul's comment.

I see nothing 'incomprehensible' about a robot driving a car. On the contrary, given that 90% of accidents are caused by human error it is an entirely logical concept. This can be empirically measured by analysing the data from the driverless car road tests & industrial applications in mining vehicles, both of which have shown lower accident frequencies than the horrific road toll caused by human drivers.

There are civil liberty concerns about this concept but it is principally being driven by the private sector, to suggest it is a government initiative is wrong. Potentially big brother will get hold of the data later but they already have other means of gathering similar information if they really want.

I'd personally prefer that people drive more carefully & we establish better public transport. But unfortunately this won't happen, the roads are full of lunatics & there is no political will for adequate public transport. Therefore, I'll take my chances with our electronic friends.
Post a reply