Insurance Business forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Fake brokers target Aussie storm victims

Notify me of new replies via email
Insurance Business | 22 Jun 2012, 12:06 AM Agree 0
Various scammers are knocking on the doors of Australian homes posing as insurance brokers and demanding thousands of dollars to repair recent storm damage.
  • Sarah Brown | 22 Jun 2012, 11:30 AM Agree 0
    I think the headline should say "Fake Builders" not Fake brokers.. that is misleading.

[Insurance Business Comment]

The opening para from the West Australian story:

"A Cooloongup woman has said she is frightened to be alone in her own home after four scammers knocked on her door on two separate occasions last week, masquerading as insurance brokers in the wake of last week’s storms."

I don't believe they are claiming they'll do the work themselves, rather that they are from an insurance firm that needs the excess payment so builders can repair the damage.
  • Insurance Business Editorial Comment | 22 Jun 2012, 11:49 AM Agree 0
    Those getting in touch to inform us that insurance brokers don’t do those types of repairs, we’re aware, that’s why it’s called a scam! Scammers are claiming that’s what insurance brokers do, on the hope of taking advantage of people who are unaware.
  • Robert Cooper | 22 Jun 2012, 11:56 AM Agree 0
    How can this be Insurance Brokers? Makes no sense.
    When do we fix up peoples homes ourselves?
    Shows the public need to learn alot more about what we Insurance Brokers do. Once again an education process from NIBA or someone is needed.
Post a reply