Forum

Insurance Business forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Insurance Business | 03 Dec 2015, 08:52 AM Agree 0
The insurance industry, like many others, grapples with gender diversity and equality and we want to know if you think the industry on the right track or does more still need to be done?
  • Analyst | 03 Dec 2015, 09:51 AM Agree 0
    Clearly not. Leadership is overwhelmingly middle-aged white men. Diversity initiatives are usually just lip service that do a little bit around the edges.
  • Poppy | 03 Dec 2015, 09:54 AM Agree 0
    Yes there is diversity.
    But not equality.
    Females are in the main employed in support roles and even at senior levels they are the more junior of the senior level.
  • Account Manager | 03 Dec 2015, 10:15 AM Agree 0
    My boss does not hire young women because they will 'get pregnant' and take maternity leave. Whenever I ask to see him about something it is the first assumption they make about me as well, and that's just the least of it.

Diversity has nothing to do with the discrimination that I get subjected to here.
  • Bob | 04 Dec 2015, 10:40 AM Agree 0
    As I have said before but got censored by yourself. Pay is still the biggest issue in insurance. Women get promoted but at far lower rates of pay.
    It still goes on today.
    Too many male CEOs patting themselves on the back for a job half done
  • Holly | 07 Dec 2015, 10:12 AM Agree 0
    I agree with Bob, women get far lower rates of pay than men with the same experience and in the same roles and this can be easily verified in publications such as those released by Hays etc
  • Kaz | 08 Dec 2015, 11:21 AM Agree 0
    The above comments mention lots more men in senior and management positions. I believe that is a direct result of the gender salary gap. As a woman you'd be wanting to transfer out of insurance if you want to be paid decently for your hard work. Experience, Knowledge and a Strong Work Ethic don't seem to get you very far very fast if you're a woman. Whereas it appears a man is given opportunities with basically minimal experience and knowledge.
  • Freddie Arguelles | 08 Dec 2015, 11:23 AM Agree 0
    GLBT people do not even show up on the radar and are probably not considered when this topic is being discussed.
  • Penny Pincher | 09 Dec 2015, 10:38 PM Agree 0
    I have worked in the Industry for 15 years and have only known one female CEO who inherited the family business. The majority of workers are women, however they are in support roles and the men are in the high paying corporate roles. There may not be any tapping on the secretary's behind but it sure does feel like I'm in the reruns of the TV show Mad Men when I look around my office.
  • Sheik | 17 Dec 2015, 11:30 PM Agree 0
    Seriously need to give this a rest…what about the industry just doing enough in promoting ‘people’ on their own merits…and ensuring the the quality, in terms of knowledge and professionalism is given the attention it requires and if the end results see’s equality in gender diversity, or not well then so be it. The end result will be a stronger and more vibrant industry with people who are not simply making up the numbers.

and to the comments above regarding pay, last I checked, and very relevant as I have just employed 3 women into the business and all on merit not simply to fill a gap, have been paid based on the role and not for their gender…so i dare say people need to snap out it a little.
    lastly to the Account Manager, i fear that you may simply be trying to stir this whole argument and people like you are the reason this topic is really becoming boring. If you are serious and feel you are being prejudiced, there is that lovely system set up by puppet rudd call ‘Fair Work’, rather than voice such personal issues in a forum like these.
  • Female Voice | 13 Jan 2016, 05:43 PM Agree 0
    I am surprised by some of the comments, I have been in the insurance industry for 26 years and believe the salary gap between male and female no longer exists (yes of course it did 10 years ago...I am not denying it).
    If you feel you are being paid less than your male colleague raise this with your HR manager or direct manager and find out what the salary band is for your role. However talk about you not your male colleague, the question is "how would you know how much he earns" ? Remember you agreed on your salary when you signed your employment contract.
    I think the real issue is, women do not speak up. If you are not happy with your salary say something, negotiate more. More importantly find out what the market is paying. It really has nothing to do with gender...in my opinion.
  • Gap, not equal pay | 12 Feb 2016, 10:56 PM Agree 0
    Re Female Voice - "being paid less than your male colleague" is unequal pay, and that's illegal and should be stamped out.
    Gender pay gap is created by the glass ceiling - lack of women in senior roles, females less likely to be promoted. To be honest, the insurance industry is far better than many when it comes to the gender pay gap.
Post a reply