Forum

Insurance Business forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Insurance Business | 18 Nov 2015, 08:49 AM Agree 0
Insurance Business has launched a new poll designed to find out which social media tool works best for brokers.
  • Shane @ Trade Risk | 18 Nov 2015, 10:00 AM Agree 0
    It depends so much on the type of brokerage; there is no single channel which is best for all. Whilst for most traditional brokerages it would probably be LinkedIn, for my business that's useless and Facebook is far more beneficial. It's all about being where your target market is.
  • Tony | 18 Nov 2015, 10:27 AM Agree 0
    I use Wechat which with many supprise features particular to form a client group which increase efficient to communicate with clients.
  • John | 18 Nov 2015, 10:36 AM Agree 0
    Social media is not a panacea for the current market ills. A scattergun approach isn't going to get you anywhere.

Brokers need to identify their target clients & policy classes & then use the approriate social media to target them. They also need to think about their own processes to make sure that they can deliver this strategy.

Facebook & Twitter will generate leads for domestic & SME businesses who use that media socially & to market themselves. If this is your target market this strategy will be useful.

If your target market is large accounts you're unlikely to generate meaningful leads without supplementary strategies. You're also likely to attract the business above, which you may not want.

If you are going to use these media, you need to interact with people on them. Just using these things as a shopfront, will be of limited use other than being free online real estate. If someone tweets you about a policy, chances are they're not going to be happy receiving documents in the mail.

LinkedIn is an entirely different concept. It is a professional network & will lead to professional connections with people in management positions at other companies.

For reference, I'm a millenial apparently. I started using Facebook in 2006 & stopped in 2012, I used Twitter between 2010 & 2012. Many of my friends & young colleagues have done likewise.
Post a reply