Forum

Insurance Business forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Insurance Business | 25 Nov 2015, 08:39 AM Agree 0
With the ink dry on the education deal between NIBA and ANZIIF we want your thoughts on what you hope will result from the new partnership.
  • Brendan | 25 Nov 2015, 10:02 AM Agree 0
    IMO less competition in anything consumer related is detrimental to said consumer as a monopoly will be formed which typically leads to a like it or lump it attitude. Which reminds me, why was a diploma in insurance broking something like $2,500 through NIBA but through a lesser known competitor it was less than a $1,000? the exact same accreditation. Good times everyone, good times.
  • Concerned broker | 25 Nov 2015, 11:04 AM Agree 0
    The pass mark with Anziif, the cost, having to pay membership costs on top of the training costs in order to get your points,lack of competition, the list of negatives goes on and on
  • Terry Mills | 25 Nov 2015, 11:55 AM Agree 0
    The ANZIIF have an established education model with the qualifications recognised throughout the Asia-Pacific region.

I think it was a mistake for NIBA to go it alone as they have never achieved the necessary professional recognition within the industry or in the general community.

Apart from the benchmark Chartered Insurance Institute (UK) which ANZIIF had the opportunity of merging with some years ago, the ANZIIF is the standard by which insurance professionals are recognised.
  • Greg McDonald | 26 Nov 2015, 09:03 AM Agree 0
    Well said Terry.

Perhaps if I could add after the word recognised...for the past 45 Years that I am personally aware of.

Besides, ANZIIF could always go back to CII when the timing is better.
  • Anon | 26 Nov 2015, 10:11 AM Agree 0
    About time. NIBA's standards were ridiculously easy and laughable. A whole diploma could be finished in one week.
  • Marcus Hamill Comsure Ins Brokers | 26 Nov 2015, 11:23 AM Agree 0
    With the emphasis on NIBA to provide a platform for the Industry concerns rather than training I hope that we see more of them in the public forum. Repeatedly we see uninsured house fires and car accidents with uninsured drivers and its a community issue. Hopefully Insurance Council with a wealth of talent and NIBA can be more proactive to champion the industry. The current bushfires need an immediate industry voice in the media. These events are advertisements for insurance and NIBA have the opportunity to promote the importance of a broker.
    As for the training I'm waiting on the course outlines to be supplied but concerned that an accelerated course is their preference rather than providing more substance in the merger.
  • Poppy | 27 Nov 2015, 10:03 AM Agree 0
    The standard of ANZIIF courses is very low so there is now hardly likely to be any improvement in quality education for our industry. We need to get behind some private training providers to set the bar much higher and give our industry the dynamic well educated professional we deserve. ANZIIF is built on mediocrity and has never had to work to improve itself due to lack of competition.
  • Val Phinn | 27 Nov 2015, 10:32 AM Agree 0
    Thank you Poppy for supporting private training providers. It is disappointing to see such a lack of recognition of the private providers ability to provide a suitable alternative. Particularly when some of us have high to very high quality indicators, successful completion rates and offer competitive course fees. We have been adapting our courses to follow the technical pathway with success for many years. Client retention for us is no different than for a broker. Just because we don't bombard brokers with marketing doesn't mean the private providers are poor quality.
  • INDEPENDANT RTO SUPPORTER | 27 Nov 2015, 03:34 PM Agree 0
    As a Director/insurance Broker committed to quality training and our obligations under our Financial Services Licence I have reservations regarding the revised and recent training offerings of ANZIIF & NIBA. For many years I have utilised the services of an Independant RTO for all our training requirements whom I will continue to use going forward. It is concerning that up and coming brokers entering the industry may not have the required experience to provide appropriate advice, placing additional risk on our PI and exposing our clients assets also. Well done to the Independant RTOs who continue to support Broking houses with quality training
Post a reply