Forum

Insurance Business forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Insurance brokers distrusted by public

Notify me of new replies via email
Insurance Business | 26 May 2012, 12:10 AM Agree 0
A public poll has found that insurance broking is one of the least trusted professions in Australia, below the likes of lawyers and journalists. The paltry percentage of people who trust insurance brokers is staggering…
  • David | 28 May 2012, 11:29 AM Agree 0
    Did they add polsters to the list of professions? To include 14 years olds in a survey who would never have come in contact with an insurance brokers let alone used one would seem to reduce the relevance of the survey
  • Another David | 28 May 2012, 11:54 AM Agree 0
    Was there a category for insurance underwriters or direct insurers, or insurance assessors? The word insurance has been bandied around so much in the press in a negative way in recent times (in most cases quite unjustifyably so) that an uninformed 'person in the street' would err on the side of negativity even though they may not have experienced any level of poor service or unprofessionalism from a broker. An uninformed audience influenced by media hype results in an uninformed and benign poll result. Completely ignorable in my opinion.
  • Robert Cooper | 28 May 2012, 12:17 PM Agree 0
    The Insurance Broking Industry knows we have a battered reputation and we know it is most unfair. Statistics show people save money, get better cover and have better claim outcomes when using an Insurance Broker. Further, Insurers find it easier dealing with people who know the subject and can hone straight in with what is needed for their mutual client rather than having to teach each direct customer all about insurance. Insurance Brokers give personal advice. You do not get that from Call centres or On-line set ups.
    We have spent years weeding out the Cowboys by making our profession require certain qualifications without losing highly experienced experts who did not need qualifications when they started their careers years ago. It is up to Insurance Brokers everywhere to rebuild the reputation of a profession that I love and enjoy, that I never stop learning from and would be a career I would recommend to anyone. It requires education of the public about our role. We need positive stories reported about us. Lets bring the Glamour to Broking.
  • Marj | 28 May 2012, 04:48 PM Agree 0
    Thats a shame and the profession needs to promote its self in a more honest ligh. I am sure most people polled have no idea what broker is and probaly lumped us in with insurers, bad claims experience and excpections way too high. How will we ever be seen in a good way when we are pilloried everyday by governments & media.

wehave been a soft target for way to long and used as a way of taking the heat off some one else!
  • Lou | 29 May 2012, 11:24 AM Agree 0
    I doubt many 14 year olds are dealing with Brokers. Our Profession is indeed Honourable. It's a pitty Roy Morgan didn't poll 651 Business Owners. These polling Companies sometimes don't realise that their stats are rubbish. Most people would stop listening after the first word 'Insurance' and brand Brokers, Direct Car Insurance Companies and associate most responses with a bad claims experience they have had with a repair. We are easy prey for Companies that want to sensationalise results. In other words, they have phrased a question, knowing in advanced what the majority vote would be.....14 year olds....get real.
Post a reply