Forum

Insurance Business forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Insurance Business | 12 Feb 2014, 08:08 AM Agree 0
A not-for-profit organisation is taking a number of cases where insurers are said to have discriminated against policyholders to the Human Rights Commission – and it has not ruled out a class action either.
  • Sandy Taylor | 14 Feb 2014, 09:53 AM Agree 0
    We have been insured with AON for over 4 years now and they have been wonderful ( as a community MH service we operate GEMS)Before that we were with Elders and once they realized we were a MH service they dumped us
  • Mark | 17 Feb 2014, 09:27 AM Agree 0
    I am not sure that Elders 'dumped' Sandy purely because they are a Mental Health service - could it have been that the sector was outside their underwriting guidelines?
    One would also ask how Elders did not know they were a MH service on inception - could this be an issue of non-disclosure as the Insured would need to disclose their full occupation on the proposal?
  • Phil | 18 Feb 2014, 02:04 PM Agree 0
    Well said Mark! I think insurers have developed a strong awareness of their community responsibilites and deliver these. It would be a clear breach of the Contracts Act and Code of Practice if an insurer did what has been levelled at Elders - its just not that simple.
  • Zena | 19 Feb 2014, 09:27 AM Agree 0
    Whether or not Elders dumped Sandy or not, its how she was left feeling. We as insurance professionals need to be more responsible about how our communication lands out there with clients.

Sad that a non-insurance industry person reading this blog, has put forth an observation, only to be cut down by insurance professionals.
Post a reply