Forum

Insurance Business forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Insurance Business | 26 Jun 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Brooklyn Underwriting’s Denver Van Gramberg explains why business development managers play a vital role in today’s insurance industry.
  • Robert Cooper | 26 Jun 2013, 11:45 AM Agree 0
    I am sure last time I had a Coffee with Denver, I paid. Told you Denver I would use it one day.

Great article and Denver is certainly a Benchmark for all BDMs. He does a great job.
  • John duggan - AIS insurance | 27 Jun 2013, 10:30 AM Agree 0
    Denver is putting it nicely & only scratching the surface. Fact, Insurers becoming more difficult to deal with period. Reason Insurers seem to be on a never ended internal operational restructure, which include reduction of their service delivery resources. Result insurer service to the Broker not a priority or what we require.
  • Just An Observer | 28 Jun 2013, 06:07 PM Agree 0
    I have been in the industry for longer than I care to remember. But one of the things I can remember is that back in the mid 70's when I started, one of the complaints that brokers had was the poor quality of the "inspectors" that serviced them.

The points Denver makes are as valid now as they were way back then.

In fact for the last 35 years one of the things that seems to be consistent is that at least one senior executive comes oput saying that the industry needs to invest in the education / training and career prospects of the younger generation. Yet here again this is effectively just what Denver is saying.

Unfortunately many insurers seem to have lost the old grey hairs that were Inspectors and who had the experience necessary to deal with some of the requests brokers make.

The push for young people to be given a chance / promotion seems to have resulted in many being put in situations where they lack the experience, expertise, knowledge, and people skills to service brokers properly.

I can already hear the young people in the industry howling but just remember I once was a "young turk" and knew everything. Now I realise just how little I did know way back when I first became an Account Executive. Even though I had a Fellowship and supposedly knew everything there was to know about insurance.
Post a reply