Forum

Insurance Business forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Poll: Rate your BDM

Notify me of new replies via email
Insurance Business | 13 Sep 2012, 12:02 AM Agree 0
HAVE YOUR SAY: After BDMs were widely criticised by brokers recently, this week’s Insurance Business poll asks: Overall, how do you rate the performance of the BDMs you work with?
  • Kay Jackson - Simplex | 13 Sep 2012, 11:36 AM Agree 0
    A bit hard to rate this as we have some fantastic BDM's and some very poor - how about a survey with the same rankings but by company :) Is it time to name and shame!
  • David Cahill | 13 Sep 2012, 01:40 PM Agree 0
    To be fair it is not the BDM themselves that is the problem it is the level control they have to actually solve problems. If they aren't allowed to make any decsions what do they add to the process.
  • Phil McGuire | 17 Sep 2012, 04:51 PM Agree 0
    I think that clearly there are two issues at play here and doing a one question survey is not the way to gain an accurate insight into the situation. Both Kaye & David are correct with both having sited the two dimensions that should be examined. How effective are the strategies now employed by underwriters around the focus, authority and conduct of their BDM's and which underwriters have the most successful BDM's and why? I think if we looked closer at this we may have a better view of the where it is working and where it is not. The dissapointing thing is that underwriters themselves have not sought enough feedback from intermediaries on how well they think they are doing with the current BDM roles. It could be synical to suggest that they will not care provided that the BDM is recoding enough weekly broker visits against their KPI's!
Post a reply