Insurance Business forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Insurance Business | 21 Jan 2013, 12:03 AM Agree 0
The insurance giant’s new CEO is set to wield the axe on the firm’s Australian headcount and more than 700 jobs could be gone. What’s the rationale for this severe chop?
  • Paul Donnelly | 21 Jan 2013, 12:25 PM Agree 0
    No service at present so I guess it can only go one way with 700 less staff!
  • FlinBroker | 21 Jan 2013, 12:40 PM Agree 0
    To all Insurance Company people who push brokers to go online,do it youself and not give service . Be warned this could be Your fate.
    What a loss of some good people though ,many will leave the industry,I hope they go to Brokers
  • Insurer | 21 Jan 2013, 02:06 PM Agree 0
    brokers be careful... Without insurers there would be no brokers, without brokers, well, there would be no brokers....
  • Ralph Watson | 22 Jan 2013, 09:25 AM Agree 0
    I hope QBE is not considering transferring jobs to overseas bureaus (India, Phillipines)- it is far better to talk to the local office.
  • Steve Clancy | 22 Jan 2013, 09:49 AM Agree 0
    As a broker, I've utilised independent offshore (and onshore) contractors for administration and marketing tasks over the last few years.

Offshoring has a bad reputation for two main reasons;
    first, our usual exposure to offshore agents is when we get mendacious telemarketers pushing sales on us, and second; the general approach large firms take when implementing an offshoring solution is to sack numbers of local positions.

A better approach that firms could take would be to offshore the administration and processing tasks, and leave the client facing roles to suitably qualified locals. Secondly, there is enough churn in the local workforce to enable a firm to replace local positions with offshore positions when the local personnel leave of their own accord.
  • J.D | 06 Feb 2013, 02:36 PM Agree 0
    @ Insurer - your comment made me smile although be careful as the brokers normally posting here are probably organising a lynch mob as we speak, pitchforks and all.

@ Flinbroker - putting the service, engagement and customer focus piece aside do you haggle your insurers for a $200 landlords account (quote slip and all) or use the electronic solution developed :)

Agree the service offering is one of the key elements but electronic solutions/platforms will continue to be a thing of the future.
Post a reply