Forum

Insurance Business forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Insurance Business | 20 Nov 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
How can insurance professionals make a difference to communities ravaged by bushfire? One ex-broker's story offers some suggestions.
  • John Kanard | 20 Nov 2013, 09:53 AM Agree 0
    Why is Kate's experience remarkable ?
    I've been doing the same, as a chartered loss adjuster since 1993, but insurers and my former employers all expressed displeasure at my ethics, and the fact I was generally the first person to sit with an insured and explain the terms and conditions of their insurance contract/s.
    And given the continuingly obtuse language used, and presentatioon of insurance contracts via Product Disclosure Statements - which consumers almost never read - it is no wonder insurers are easy targets for the ill-informed media, politicians and their unelected bureacrat advisors, and Courts which continue to confirm plaintiff bias.
    Let's face it, an the dreadful bushfire losses notwithstanding, insurers continue to be their own worst enemies, and Kate's crusade deserves to be so well publicised that it might wake everyone up, including consumers, to the realities of entering into a contract.
    People seek legal advice when they enter into so many other contracts, why doesn't the legal fraternity extend its professional scope to embrace probably the most common contracts to which most are us are exposed.
    Cheers Kate. More power to you.
  • Gary Everdell | 20 Nov 2013, 10:27 AM Agree 0
    So what does this tell us ?

Assume (makes an ass out of u and me)

Kate has shown that whilst she and her helpers may not have "changed the world" that was not their aim.

Imagine if our Industry (NIBA) provided via members this service each time a disaster occurred somewhere in this vast Country !!

Plus get the but in of media - how much easier our overall message would be to promte the use of a Broker !!

Great work Kate and others.

PS- No vested interests or relationship - just support for someone helping our Industry !

Post a reply