Forum

Insurance Business forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Insurance Business | 21 Jun 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Far-out Friday: A nationwide poll has found insurance salespeople have quite the reputation.
  • Robert Cooper | 21 Jun 2013, 10:46 AM Agree 0
    Are simply considered "Insurance Sales people" if you are Insurance Brokers advising our clients about their risks or an Insurance Underwriter accepting a risk? Then why are Financial Planners related higher - aren't they Insurance sales people too? Many Insurers use Call centre staff who are purely sales. The survey may have more credibility if they took the word "sales" out or used "Insurance Company" or "Insurance Broker". Ignore this fellow Insurance colleagues, be proud of your industry.
  • Dean McCauley | 21 Jun 2013, 12:21 PM Agree 0
    Well said Robert. I've been in this industry for over 20 years and I can't think of anyone I have worked with that I would consider untrustworthy. At the end of the day, we are here to do a job and that is to provide insurance advice to our customers and most people (in any industry) take great pride in doing their jobs well. I think all this list proves is how ignorant people really are about our profession.
  • Mr Black | 21 Jun 2013, 02:41 PM Agree 0
    Don't worry, your position on the list was probably just an act of god
  • Kate Fairley | 21 Jun 2013, 06:08 PM Agree 0
    You just have to look at the FOS statistics and compare the number of disputes recorded against General Insurers (7,000+) vs. General Insurance Brokers (123) to know that the people surveyed here couldn't have been talking about the insurance brokers we know and trust.
  • Mark Dalton | 22 Jun 2013, 02:41 PM Agree 0
    I suspect that respondents would define an insurance 'salesperson' as door-to-door, a role that has limited application in the modern insurance industry. So I agree with Robert and Dean in suggesting we ignore this finding as I don't believe it applies to the professional advisor relationship that brokers have with their customers.
  • Neal Mansfield | 22 Jun 2013, 07:56 PM Agree 0
    This poll suggests that, we as brokers, are nothing more than salespeople ripping the public and/or our customers off for a Dollar.

This is rubbish - I have found there are two types of broker in our industy. Pre AFSL days, brokers paid on a commission basis, commonly ranging between a profit share of 30% to 50% of the gross commission, were commonly known and behaved like "cowboys or perhaps Bikies" in that there were no rules, little consideration to providing advice about exposed risk and presenting a truly professional service.

These days, after the AFSL was passed, reputable brokers pay annual salaries now and not commission. This removes a lot of temptation to lie, cheat and steal. I have found broking business is about covering your Ass these days due to our litigious society. I find a lot of my time is spent designing individual insurance programmes, dealing with insurer's who want to limit exposure and cover whilst collecting your client's dollars and ensuring no gaps in cover are left. It seems the cost of a Professional Indemnity claim far outways the need to be out "selling" like the old days.
  • Scott R | 24 Jun 2013, 09:30 AM Agree 0
    I don't like that bit of statistics there Kate. It's very positive, but also seems a bit misleading. Brokers choose which General Insurer to place a client with, so if the client is for instance complaining about QUS (a broker only general insurer) then they are really complaining about the insurer that the broker chose. It means the broker dodged the bullet, but it was still the broker doing their job wrong.

Brokers have a lot to brag about, so I don't think we need suspicious stats. That said, I do appreciate your constant attempts to help highlight how brokers help!
Post a reply