Insurance Business forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Insurance Business | 06 May 2015, 08:17 AM Agree 0
From stretching the truth to exaggerative experience, candidates are increasingly embellishing their resumes. Here are the six best ways to spot a fraud.
  • Phil McGuire | 06 May 2015, 01:19 PM Agree 0
    Unfortunately these days, the National Privacy Principals make all employers jump through hoops before they can make enquiries on any prospective candidate. It would be great if we could just pick up the phone and freely make enquiries with previous employers but you have to obtain permission from the candidate first. What a croc!!
  • Scott | 12 May 2015, 09:43 AM Agree 0
    I'd say those statisitics point out the flaws in the way we make people apply for roles - it is very hard to make a judgement call on a potential candidate by only focusing on their resume.

In my experience there have been people who are perfect on paper, and when scrutinised are indeed who they say they are, who have been absolutely terrible fits for the role and working enviroment within our office.

On the otherhand a placement student we got from the wrong side of the tracks that was terrible on paper (and definately padded her resume) who we took a chance on is now an invaluable part of our team and one of most dedicated & hard working employees we have.

Perhaps its time to just take resumes with a grain of salt and rely on other methods to decide the suitability of candidates.
  • Helen Stephens | 13 May 2015, 10:44 AM Agree 0
    Hire for attitude & train for skill!
    As an ex HR / Recruitment Professional now working in a brokerage, I have reviewed 1000's of resumes and interviewed more staff in my time than I care to remember and yes, I will agree that most people do exaggerate on paper but I am most definitely a social media detective!

You can tell a lot about a person by what the chose to share (or not share) on social media profiles or by the time and care they have taken to actually apply for a specific position.
    I would much rather take a chance on someone who is honest about their shortcomings and demonstrates a positive attitude than someone who looks to be perfect on paper, but lacks the substance to back it up.
Post a reply