Our Insurance Comparison Tool allows you to pick the Property Damage policy that's right for you by comparing every plan offered by Canada's leading insurance providers. Stuck? Our Frequently Asked Questions can help you learn more about this coverage area.
Compare Property Damage Insurance Policies
Frequently Asked Questions(click to expand)
What Is Property Damage Insurance?
Property Damage insurance provides coverage in case of accidental damage caused to buildings or property. As a type of Public Liability insurance, Property Damage mainly focuses on:
- Physical injury to tangible property, including all resulting loss of use of that property
- Loss of use of tangible property that is not physically injured
Insuring against Property Damage allows policyholders to be covered for repair and/or refurbishment costs. Typical examples of Property Damage include damage done to vehicles, public property, private homes, businesses and individuals.
Who Needs Property Damage Insurance?
Accidents can happen to anyone at anytime. However some activities are deemed more of a risk than others. This means that whilst anyone can be the cause of Property Damage, there are several types of client who are traditionally recommended to include it in their insurance coverage. They are:
- Business owners
- Property owners
- Vehicle owners
What Does Property Damage Insurance Cover?
Property Damage insurance typically covers any of the following:
- Repairs for damage to buildings
- Loss of income due to business closure
- Damage/collision with another vehicle
- Damage/collision with another person’s property or building
- Legal expenses (if legal counsel is needed as a result of damages caused)
What Is Not Included In Property Damage Insurance?
While Property Damage insurance is primarily concerned with physical and material loss or damage to property, there are several types of causes of damage excluded from most insurance policies:
- Deliberate or intentional acts of vandalism
- Damage caused by acts of war or terrorism
- Damage caused by radioactive materials
- Damage caused by a natural disaster
- Collisions caused by a driver under the influence of drugs or alcohol
How Is Property Damage Insurance Sold?
- Auto Physical Damage
- Builders Risk
- Commercial General Liability
- Environmental Liability
- Public Liability
How Much Does Property Damage Insurance Cost?
Property Damage cover is not generally available as a standalone product but as part of a general Liability program. It will either be included in the price of an overall policy or available as an add-on or extension.
However it can be purchased as either one of the following:
- A combined single limit policy (a payment limit per accident)
- A split limit policy (an overall limit to cover all accidents)
The overall cost of liability coverage will vary considerably depending on the age of size of the business, location, claims history and any other factors. If there has been a previous claim then the cost of the premium will increase.