Insurance Business forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Insurance Business | 10 Oct 2017, 11:48 AM Agree 0
There are sensors galore in modern cars, but that isn’t meaning fewer crashes or lesser claims
  • Frank Cain | 10 Oct 2017, 03:01 PM Agree 0
    A brief comment was made correlating the technical advancements of cars to autonomous vehicles. It is unclear to me how with even double or triple the technology built into cars, the autonomous vehicle will be expected to perform equally or better than a car with a driver. That would require a computer that thinks for itself, that is capable of emotion and feeling, that would equate danger with responsible avoidance, and that would use excessive force of the vehicle to purposely prevent a cataclysmic accident. In other words, the computer would have to have a brain similar to one in a human being. In some cases that may be an improvement, but I doubt if it will ever happen.

The passenger in the autonomous vehicle, wherever he may be sitting when an accident occurs, would not, from the standpoint of the autonomic nervous system, allow him to brace for impact. When your reading about Robert Langdon (Dan Brown's 7th installment) running from church to church in Rome hoping to prevent the next tragedy while your autonomous vehicle is cruising at 100 on the 401, you are likely not to be prepared.

Post a reply