Insurance Business forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Insurance Business | 14 Jun 2017, 11:40 AM Agree 0
Insurers may be fighting the good fight, but one CEO believes that there are different motivations elsewhere
  • silly | 14 Jun 2017, 05:23 PM Agree 0
    This is insane. Clearly this municiple alderman has no idea how municiple property taxes work. The value of any given home or area matters not one bit. For example my assessment whent up over 30% last year but since on average everyone else else went up more my taxes actualyl decreased.

Secondly, why would any insurance company care what some small municiple or even pronvincial gov't has to say on the issue. If they prevented release of into to hide from doing expensive flood mitigation or beucase they were worried about developers in the area, since when do gov't workers work for private developers and secondly when the enevitible flood does come out hiding reality will come out. And who will defend this? insurance companies who write the muni...
    • Thom. C.J. Young | 15 Jun 2017, 11:12 AM Agree 0
      The issue being discussed at the forum was the mitigation of flood damage or any kind of damage through the engineering of defenses by the municipal authorities. That being the construction of flood protecting berms and improving municipal drainage systems to remove excessive and unusual amounts of rain water. As we've seen in several flood events, the engineering of the developments actually contributed to the flood damage to both municipal infrastructure and private property. Data mapping of the losses and analysis as to the reasons for them contributes to better mitigation of the severe weather events that are becoming more common. The negative implications to the status quo by the publication of this data is often resisted by the political realities of the faults indicated by them, the effects on real property values in areas identified as unsafe and the idea of blame for the poor planning that resulted in the situation evident. Nothing insane or unusual about this.
Post a reply