Forum

Insurance Business forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Insurance Business | 27 May 2015, 12:28 p.m. Agree 0
An industry body has strong words to say about the Government’s new document looking at Fire Service funding options. But why has it got them so hot under the collar?
  • Also insured | 27 May 2015, 01:12 p.m. Agree 0
    If it continues as an insurance levy perhaps we could go back to the days of the plaque above the front door: no plaque, no engine. And if levy is based on the sum insured how will that affect those brokers who try to "beat the system"?
  • Tim | 27 May 2015, 01:16 p.m. Agree 0
    If the fire service were funded through a general taxation and the government proposed a levy on insurance premiums instead, there'd be uproar. As it is, nobody can be bothered to change this archaic practise.

As buyers of insurance, can we have a Fire Mark to place at our homes or badge for our radiator grilles to guarantee superior service in the event of a fire or accident?

I'm sick of subsidising the service in such an unfair manner.
  • DaveW | 27 May 2015, 01:17 p.m. Agree 0
    Would it not make it easier to administer & fairer, if the levy were placed on Vehicle licenses and property rates? This way even the uninsured who enjoy the fire services "service" will contribute!
  • Boomer | 27 May 2015, 02:31 p.m. Agree 0
    And those brokers include the members of the recently announced Government Insurance Broking panel. Something's not right here! as long as the antiquated levy system is in place there has to be a way to collect a fair share of payments off those insured's who place off-shore with the connivance of their brokers.
  • mytwocents | 27 May 2015, 03:35 p.m. Agree 0
    The insurance industry should immediately start charging the government for the time and effort it takes to administer this from our end. That might make them move on things a bit quicker.
  • Bob jones | 29 May 2015, 10:26 p.m. Agree 0
    Insurance Council bleating for their members, a levy that costs them nothing but pays for a service potentially saves them thousands. If they hadn't been sly in their tactics to reduce the levy in previous years I'd have more sympathy..
    To compare the UK brigades is a comment from the I'll informed.. Just look at what the UK brigades are going through at the moment. Cut cut cut..
Post a reply