Forum

Insurance Business forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Insurance Business | 01 Jul 2015, 08:36 a.m. Agree 0
Cody Subritsky, managing director of Apex Northland, explains why he think brokers are "product junkies" and why the industry needs more competitiveness.
  • Carol Whitfield | 01 Jul 2015, 12:16 p.m. Agree 0
    I take exception to that comment about brokers being product junkies and out of touch! It's not true and Cody should apologise. I won't be using or recommending his firm.
  • Wanda | 01 Jul 2015, 01:15 p.m. Agree 0
    I don't think we're out of touch! If anything, we're more in touch with our clients than we've ever been! In the current market with premiums falling and constant mergers & buy-outs, the one thing that we really have to make us stand out from the crowd is our service standards. Clients don't appoint us to buy 'products' - they appoint us for our expertise and the ability to work with them as part of their team of trusted advisors. Having product knowledge is definitely something, but only a part of what we do!
  • David | 01 Jul 2015, 04:32 p.m. Agree 0
    As a F & G Broker I also find Cody's comments totally out of touch with reality. We can not afford to be "product junkies" we have an expectation, that most brokers live up to, of supplying and recommending a high quality of expertise in recommendations and advise. I think Cody with his minimal experience is perhaps a bit naïve in his comments.
  • Tim | 08 Jul 2015, 02:16 p.m. Agree 0
    I actually resent Subritzky assuming that everyone outside Apex is an out of touch product junkie. Certainly there are some commodities in broking, but my expertise lies in understanding clients, markets and products and putting them together, then managing the claims that go with the territory. That's a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career.

Perhaps the young gentleman is thinking of the generic box-ticking small business covers available at one or more of our multinational brokers, but he should be specific if he's going to call brokers out.

Post a reply