Forum

Insurance Business forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Insurance Business | 08 Sep 2014, 01:15 p.m. Agree 0
Industry body chief says heightened security risks confirmed his decision not to appear on Campbell Live’s fourth anniversary special last week, and that multiple offers to pre-record were ignored.
  • Hone H | 08 Sep 2014, 02:33 p.m. Agree 0
    It is probably fair to say that the ICNZ as representative of the insurance companies and EQC are the masters of their own misfortune. If they had agreed to work together and not have separate assessments done from the outset the whole process would be a hell of a lot more efficient. The bottom line is the insurance industry has not done a great job for Chch...they should front up and cop a blood nose or two and if they don't want to then be prepared to cop some flak. Campbell is just trying to show the people of Chch that someone still cares and to show the rest of us what's actually going on down there!
  • Rob | 09 Sep 2014, 08:44 a.m. Agree 0
    In reply to Hone H above - and I quote:

"The bottom line is the insurance industry has not done a great job for Chch..."

Really? Do you know how many billions of dollars insurers have contributed to the Chch rebuild? Probably not, as you seem more interested in complaining rather than looking at facts.

Could some things have been done better? Almost certainly?
    Have insurers done a bad job? Certainly not!
  • Also insured | 09 Sep 2014, 11:12 a.m. Agree 0
    No-one was prepared for something like this happening. Some insurers have done an appalling job but that was due to their lack of professionalism/integrity. But most have done a sterling job given the battles with EQC in particular.
  • Alan Z | 10 Sep 2014, 01:06 p.m. Agree 0
    To 'Also Insured' - exactly what are those 'battles' you refer to?
  • Also insured | 10 Sep 2014, 01:26 p.m. Agree 0
    Many insurers would have been delighted to take over the claims right from the start and not had to battle EQC over under-cap and over-cap claims. The sensationalism of the media has put much of the blame onto these insurers as they are well-known names and therefore an easy target.
  • Alan G | 10 Sep 2014, 01:36 p.m. Agree 0
    I myself work within the Insurance industry in Chch and also suffered as a result of the Earthquakes. It is important to note however that although some insurers have not reacted to this situation as well as they would have liked to and they would be the first to state that they could have done things better, people must realise that is is a very complicated situation with EQC and Private insurers working hard to overcome obstacles. Sure it probably would have been better to allow the private insurers to undertake the assessments and settle the claims, and this may have sped the process along, but it doesn't change the fact that while the ground was still moving around under our feet, to boldly jump in and start rebuilding before the earthquakes subsided or even before any of us knew what damage below ground level there was, would not have been prudent and definitly would have been premmature to say the least. I think it is also important to note that there are many good news stories out there so why are they not broadcast to help provide some balance to the overall story?This is a complicated situation and Campbell Live knows this all to well and for the producers of the show to provide such an imbalanced perspective is provocative and shows a lack of journalistic integrity. I thought Journalists and the media were supposed to show a balanced point of view so people can make balanced decisions. Come on Campbell play fair!
Post a reply