Our Insurance Comparison Tool allows you to pick the policy that's right for you by comparing every plan offered by Canada's leading providers. Need more info? Our Frequently Asked Questions can explain Liquor Liability cover in greater detail.
Compare Liquor Liability Insurance Policies
|Product name||Max Coverage||Min Premium||Exclusions|
|Commercial Combined by Coast Underwriting Ltd||Max Coverage GBP10M||Min Premium GBP500||
|Nightclubs (Club:PM) by Gresham Underwriting Ltd||Max Coverage N/A||Min Premium N/A||
Frequently Asked Questions(click to expand)
What Is Liquor Liability Insurance?
Liquor Liability insurance can help cover the host’s legal costs, court fees, and any civil or criminal damages awarded if a claim is made against them for serving a drunk person.
Who Needs Liquor Liability Insurance?
Any licensed venue or event that supplies alcohol should buy Liquor Liability insurance if they are situated in a region where the host/establishment is liable for damages caused by one of their patrons. The following types of hospitality business are typical venues that can purchase Liquor Liability (or Host Liquor Liability):
- public houses and taverns
- private members’ clubs
- music and performance venues
- sports venues
Some regions require by law that Liquor Liability is purchased by venues selling alcohol. The following types of special event where alcohol is supplied should also consider Liquor Liability cover:
- single/multi-day functions
- beer tents
What Does Liquor Liability Insurance Cover?
- bodily injury: injuries suffered by or caused by an intoxicated person
- property damage: damage caused by drunken altercations or alcohol-related violence
Legal expenses and litigation costs may also be covered if certain incidents – for example assault and battery – are taken to court and the venue is treated as liable.
What Is Not Included In Liquor Liability Insurance?
Most Liquor Liability insurance policies carry the following exclusions:
- fines due to alcohol being served/supplied to a minor
- failure to implement/enforce safe alcohol serving practices
- offenses committed other than property damage or bodily harm
- damages to own property
How Much Is Liquor Liability Insurance?
The cost of a Liquor Liability insurance policy will be calculated depending on the following:
- the size of the venue/business/event
- type of alcohol served
- if alcohol is manufactured on the premises
- opening and closing hours
Liquor Liability is also available as an add-on to other insurance policies such as Event Liability or Commercial General Liability.