We use cookies to improve this site and enable full functionality. You can change your cookie settings at any time using your browser. Our cookie policy.

Insurance Business forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Insurance Business | 14 Feb 2018, 07:30 AM Agree 0
Are ethnic minority names really playing a part in premiums?
  • Andrew Wilkinson | 14 Feb 2018, 10:04 AM Agree 0
    Working in the protection insurance space we have no knowledge about car insurance. However we have been pressing for better access to insurance for some time in the protection insurance space and we are starting to see some progress which is encouraging. However I am pleased and proud to say that we have seen no evidence whatsoever that customers in the protection insurance space are discriminated against on the basis of their colour or name.
  • Tobias S | 05 May 2018, 01:37 PM Agree 0
    In my organistion almost all of the BME staff have noted that when they apply for car insurance under "traditional/white" names their policies are far lower then when they apply under their own names. I tested this out on a leading compariosn website myself and the results were oncredibly different, up to 1/3 more expensive if I used exactly the same details and a BMW name. This needs to be stopped immediately and insurance companies should not be allowed to hide behind the "algorithms" and "other unknown factors" as reasons for ripping off thousands/potentially millions of BME people. It's outrageous and ridiculous that pathetic prejudice based on names is allowed to continue.
Post a reply