Forum

Insurance Business forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Insurance Business | 11 Apr 2018, 03:15 AM Agree 0
Lawmakers say that insurers were cutting commissions - if they paid them at all - to agents who sold individual health plans
  • Tina, Agent (NE GA Region) | 13 Apr 2018, 08:25 AM Agree 0
    Amen! I pray this passes. I hate writing ACA. I have written in over a two year span nearly 300 policies and 75% of those are with BCBS. I receive about $38 a month on all of these because they only pay for a select few plans that most clients do not purchase. It is to the point of telling clients I can no longer help with ACA. There is one carrier in NE Ga that does pay and that is Ambetter, however it took me two years to get appointed with them after I had written a ton of "free" business for them. ACA is one of the most service intense products and it is like asking agents to run a soup kitchen. We train for ACA for hours and sometimes days and use our time, ink, paper, travel mileage, phone service, and other resources that cost us and we get a loss dealing with ACA. It is hard for me to turn away people that I know need coverage and it really puts the agent in an unnecessary ethical bind deciding on if helping others and hurting yourself is something you can balance. It is nothing short of theft from the agents. One company that I won't name will only pay agents commissions if they enroll I believe a minimum of 500 people. BCBS has a minimum of 10, and again will only pay an agent for a very slim selection of products (this is Anthem).

We don't expect professionals to work for free--that's a given. Agents are professionals with lots of training and education and we deserve a return on our knowledge, advise, and efforts. I have prayed for the demise of the ACA for the basic fact it has turned me bitter when I get a phone call from someone under 65 seeking health insurance. It puts you in a bad place as an agent. Do you say to the client, "I am sorry but carriers don't pay me for this line of work?" It makes you feel obligated if you are an agent with a true interest in improving the lives of others.

Further we can't even charge an enrollment fee or any fees whatsoever according to the state of Georgia. I looked into this and thought about a small enrollment fee until I learned that was out of the question.

I would like to see every carrier pay me and all other agents retroactively for every client I have given them a minimum of 10 per month per member for the past several years. After all, they would not have those clients and those premiums if it were not for the agents doing the work. It is an extremely reasonable request and one that could be done easily tracking the book of business to each agent's NPN.

So glad to hear this is finally being addressed!
    • Jsc | 20 Apr 2018, 11:57 AM Agree 0
      Completely agree. We are in this dilemma as well. It is ridiculous to expect us to work as hard as we do for free....I’m wondering why I’m even in this business considering commissions are drying up. People have NO IDEA the sacrifice we make.....thoughts of year end make us nauseous starting in January and we dread it all year. Things have GOT TO CHANGE.
  • HAFA | 13 Apr 2018, 09:24 PM Agree 0
    Please someone read this bill!!! If the Insurance Company doesn’t include commissions in rate filings equals no commissions!! Add part 2 that makes it lawful for insurance companies to not pay commissions during an SEP.
  • | 15 Apr 2018, 09:43 AM Agree 0
    I don't write any more business than I have to on the exchange and then only for referrals/friends
  • | 16 Apr 2018, 04:27 PM Agree 0
    We work more hours in a short time to receive 10.00 then they say if you don't have at least 150 clients your pay will be 0 next year ! then when you combine your business you loose another 2.00 . so 8.00 from some and BCBS is nothing on most plans ACH. HELP HELP HELP
Post a reply