A Lloyd’s of London syndicate is being sued for more than $1.53 million by Australian fast bowler Mitchell Starc over his unpaid IPL contract after missing last year’s season through injury.
The 29-year-old New South Wales star failed to bowl a delivery when he broke down with injury in the ill-fated series against South Africa, which was marred by the infamous ball-tampering plot.
Starc, represented by Mills Oakley lawyers, filed a lawsuit in Victoria County Court last week against the insurers of his lucrative deal to play for the Kolkata Knight Riders in the world’s richest T20 tournament, Fairfax Media and Canberra Times reported.
Court documents showed that Starc took out a $1.53 million policy, for which he paid a premium of $97,920 to be covered between February 27 and March 31 in 2018, when the tournament ended. It was effective if he missed the IPL season through injury.
It is understood that Starc was put through a full medical by the insurers and that a number of exclusions were in the contract for old injuries, Fairfax said.
“The parties have exchanged correspondence about the plaintiff’s claim which culminated in a final response from the defendant’s representative in the form of an email sent on November 22, 2018,” the writ said. “That email confirmed the defendant’s contention that the plaintiff is not entitled to the total disablement benefit.”