Attention actuaries, fintech experts, and marine insurance specialists – Hong Kong wants you.
The Hong Kong government has released a list of 11 types of migrants that will be given priority in migrating to the city. The criteria mostly include professions considered pillars of Hong Kong’s economy, such as investment management, financial services, law, and technology, the South China Morning Post reported.
The list’s goal is to attract talent to support Hong Kong’s development as a “high value-added and diversified economy”, the Labour and Welfare Bureau said.
“The talent list highlights specific professions needed most for Hong Kong’s economic development,” it said in a statement.
Through Hong Kong’s Quality Migrant Admission Scheme, up to 1,000 people can migrate into the city even if they do not have a job yet, as long as they meet a certain set of qualifications. Professionals that are part of the list will immediately receive bonus marks, increasing their chances of getting accepted.
“The [list] is one of our major initiatives to enhance our competitive advantages in attracting international talents, creating cluster effects, stimulating the development of local talents and propelling Hong Kong forward,” said Matthew Cheung Kin-chung, Chief Secretary for Administration.
Here is the full list of in-demand jobs:
- Waste treatment specialists/engineers
- Management professionals in asset management including, but not limited to, trust fund management
- Marine insurance professionals
- Fintech experts
- Data scientists and cybersecurity specialists
- Innovation and technology experts in fields such as pharmaceutical and life sciences/biotechnology, data engineering and materials science/nanotechnology
- Naval architects
- Marine engineers and superintendents of ships
- Creative industries professionals in music, digital entertainment, game production and film
- Dispute resolution professionals