has announced that it will support the revival of Tropfest, the world’s largest short film festival which will be held in Sydney in February.
The event, which has attracted more than 1.6 million people since it began in 1993, was originally slated for this weekend but was cancelled due to funding issues but the insurer has stepped in to support the event which will be held at Centennial Parklands in Sydney.
, commercial insurance chief executive for IAG
, which owns CGU
, said that the company is delighted to support such an iconic event.
“Tropfest is a great festival, providing unique platforms for talented filmmakers through its events and initiatives, and we are excited to be able to help them get back on their feet,” Bessell said.
“Supporting this fantastic cultural event is about creating a renewed opportunity for Tropfest and all those small businesses associated with the event to continue to thrive and get some business done.
“It’s also about supporting the wider community who are avid fans of film and entertainment and give them an opportunity to come along and enjoy a free cultural event.”
“It’s incredibly encouraging to see that the Australian public and corporate community really want to see Tropfest return.”
National outcry followed the cancelation of the event earlier this year and founder and festival director, John Polson praised CGU
for its support.
“It’s incredibly encouraging to see that the Australian public and corporate community really want to see Tropfest return,” Polson said.
“As a free, outdoor event, Tropfest makes short film accessible to all. There's nothing else quite like it and I think that's what people love.
“Thanks to the support given by CGU
Insurance, we’re now able to restore Tropfest for the filmmakers whose work was put on hold, for our fans and of course for the suppliers and partners who all give so much to make the world’s largest short film festival a reality.
“It’s the comeback story of the decade.”
Tropfest will be held at Centennial Park in Sydney on February 14.