, Australia’s largest global insurer, continues to reach out to customers impacted by Cyclone Debbie, donating $100,000 to support the Red Cross’s disaster relief and recovery work.
The donation is part of QBE
’s ongoing efforts to clean up, make-safe, restore, and rebuild, three weeks after Cyclone Debbie crossed the Queensland coastline.
The funds will be used by the Red Cross to mobilise relief teams into evacuation and recovery centres, reconnect families separated by the event, and go door-to-door to check how people are faring and offer information to support families from Townsville to Lismore.
Jon Fox, QBE
EGM – claims, said the company was committed to helping cyclone-hit customers quickly get back on their feet.
Want the latest insurance industry news first? Sign up for our completely free newsletter service now.
“We’re obviously working hard to support our customers, but the broader communities also need help and the work the Red Cross is doing is vital to aid their recovery and help build resilience for the longer term,” he said.
“For our customers, we enacted our catastrophe management plan well in advance of the cyclone making landfall. This proactive approach and streamlining of our claims processes, has allowed us to be in position to have builders on site within hours of customers making contact and a number of jobs were completed within days.”
Fox said that as of Wednesday morning, over 95% of customers who have lodged their claim with the insurer had already been contacted by an assessor or builder to make an appointment to attend the property.
Insurers paying $2 million a day in emergency support
Local traders urged to participate in insurer-funded rebuild work