A worried dog owner who rushed their pet to the vet after it ingested Nurofen tablets was shocked to discover the dog’s stomach also contained a peach stone, a beer bottle lid, a stone and other pieces of plastic.
This canine with unusual cravings is not alone however.
In the last eight months alone, Southern Cross Pet Insurance has received claims after veterinary treatment was required following ingestion of the following items:
- A pen
- Three socks
- A plastic bolt with large flat head and steel washer
- Teat from a baby’s bottle
- Cigarettes as well as the cigarette packet
- Chocolate Easter eggs and Easter bunnies, including the foil
- Five protein bars
Some of our four-legged friends are even repeat offenders. One poky little puppy has visited the vet on several occasions having eaten sanitary items, dental floss, an empty raisin packet, empty yoghurt container and a muffin case.
A spokesperson for Southern Cross Pet Insurance (formerly known as Ellenco Pet Insurance) said many such claims can cost over $1,000 which can mean a financial headache for unprepared dog owners.
“Many dog owners – and those considering welcoming a pooch into the family – might be surprised to learn that it’s not uncommon for treatments to cost thousands,” the spokesperson said.
The company has released a list of the ten most common claims for dogs that cost over $1,000 in 2013. They are:
- Cruciate ligament (knee joint ligament)
- Intestinal obstruction (partial or full blockage of the stomach or intestine)
- Traumatic injury
- Foreign body (ingestion of an object)
- Urolithiasis (kidney stones)
- Pancreatitis (inflamed pancreas)
- Anal Gland disorder