Hunger strike starts in effort to shake-up Southern Response

by Krizzel Canlas 17 Apr 2018

Hunger strike starts in effort to shake-up Southern Response

A Southern Response earthquake claimant is starting a hunger strike outside Southern Response’s office in Christchurch today, claiming he’s had enough of the state insurer refusing to resolve his claim.

Homeowners Peter and Anne Glasson, a couple who suffered during the 2010-2011 Christchurch earthquakes, have allegedly been spied upon by Southern Response, and say they are now left with no choice.

“We are seven years on and despite repeated requests made to government-owned insurer Southern Response to discuss claim settlement, they will not talk to us,” Glasson noted.

On November 13, Glasson said he and his wife were in court ready to proceed with their case against the insurer - however, two days before the start of the hearing, Southern Response allegedly offered the couple less than half of what it had offered them previously.

The move, Glasson said, was simply meant to intimidate them before the hearing. “The intimidation and bullying tactics by Southern Response are never ending,” he added.

Additionally, he cited situations of the “outrageous delaying tactics and cunning manipulation of the process” by Southern Response’s lawyers.

“Things like changing experts in order to get the answers they want and manipulating the court process to slow things down - and those are just two of the tactics they are using,” he noted. “Southern Response is ruining our lives, affecting our health but we will not let them finish us off.”

To date, five months after the trial was supposed to have taken place and reportedly after 16 visits of the house, Southern Response wants to visit the Glassons’ residence with another 12 people to undertake further investigations, he explained.

“This is simply intimidation in a war of financial and psychological attrition,” he said.

The couple said they have gone above and beyond to assist the resolution of their claim - followed all the processes they should have and spent a massive amount of money along the way - necessitating the need to take out a mortgage on their house.

“I will continue this hunger strike, no matter what the personal consequences, until I have achieved resolution of our claim with Southern Response,” Glasson added.

 

Related stories:
 
2 Comments
  • 2sidestoeverystory 17/04/2018 8:53:21 a.m.
    Let me start by saying I know zero detail in regard to this claim apart from what I have seen or heard in the media. What is disturbing to me is the lack of balance in the articles reported including this story in our own industry publication.
    Let me explain this comments. If you read the article above you will see that they commenced legal proceedings and had a court date fixed for their hearing. Prior to this a further (and lower) offer was made by SR to settle the claim. If this was not acceptable, and obviously it wasn't why did they not continue with the legal proceedings and have the case heard by the court?
    Simple google searches also reveal that this is not the first time Mr Glasson has had issues with EQ claims. I suggest you review an article in the Christchurch Press dated 30/5/17 entitled Christchurch man's anti-insurance red car gets 'huge amount of support'.
    What I do know is that this was a huge event and domestic claim resolutions are well into the high 90%. The remaining claims are complex and often involve situations where homeowner expectations are greater than the reality of the damage.
    Post a reply
  • Ann 18/04/2018 11:52:39 a.m.
    It is my understanding that Mr Glasson is still heading to court eventually. His last court date was dismissed by the judge because it was in fact the insurer, Southern Response who had delayed filing important structural information to the court thus leaving Mr Glasson unable to answer his case in a 3 day turnaround time frame.So Mr Glasson is still proceeding to the next court date. Mr Glasson has had 17 damage assessments inspections, he has been offered two cash settlements yet Southern Response say they have not finished those assessments of the property after 7.7 years and won't settle.Four engineers have said the foundations need replacing, including one engineer previously employed by Southern Response and yet Southern Response have refused to accept that expertise.Mr Glasson was also spied upon by Southern Response. I am sure Mr Glasson has been in the paper before but that is not relevant to this topic is it?. I am equally certain that Mr Glasson knows full well and taken legal advice to achieve his policy entitlements so to imply that he has unrealistic expectations of those entitlements seems a shallow response. This man has had enough, he no longer is prepared to be delayed in getting his home reinstated. If EQC and all Insurers has assessed foundation damage to property from the outset then I would suggest EQC and Southern Response would not be facing millions of dollars for re repairs and decision implications by court on sold properties.
    Post a reply