Jeremy Trott, head of operations, claims
With severe winds and heavy rain forecast for much of the UK over the next few days, Allianz has issued the following advice to help policyholders protect their property from storm damage:
- Listen to local radio or search the internet for the latest information and updates on the situation in your area.
- Prevention is always better than cure, so check in advance for problems such as loose roof tiles and have repairs made if you need to. After the storm passes check again for any damage.
- Put away garden furniture and any other items kept outside that might get blown around and cause damage.
- Secure gates and shed doors.
- Be ready to turn off essential supplies – gas, electricity and water – at the mains, so make sure you know how to do this.
- Prepare an ‘emergency pack’ to include a torch, first aid kit, warm clothes, blankets and water and make sure your mobile phone is fully charged.
- If your property has been affected, contact your insurer as soon as possible. Taking photographs of the damaged items is helpful and can help to settle claims quickly.
Allianz’s head of operations, Jeremy Trott says: “Severe weather has the potential to cause devastating damage to property, so we recommend that households take some simple precautions to minimise the damage caused to their properties”.