Health insurers Medibank and ahm have launched an initial support package in excess of $50 million to assist customers as they battle through the significant health and economic challenges posed by the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
The package includes benefits towards COVID-19-related chest, heart, lung and kidney hospital admissions, regardless of the existing customer’s level of hospital cover; as well as specific financial hardship policy allowing customers to suspend their policy or access some relief on their premium payments.
Other measures implemented by Medibank and ahm to support customers during this difficult time include:
- additional clinical support systems for customers with coronavirus who are in self isolation at home and customers with chronic and complex health conditions
- continued access 24/7 Medibank Nurse and Mental Health Phone support lines
- launch of Live Better at Home to help Australians prioritise their health as more people spend more time at home
- a $5 million donation to Beyond Blue to support their vital work to help Australians deal with the growing mental health impact of the coronavirus
- introduction of two-weeks, fully paid special coronavirus leave for any Medibank and ahm team member
- additional 400 new nurses to meet the increasing demand from Australians for national coronavirus helpline services
“We hope these initiatives go some way to relieve the stress and anxiety our customers are experiencing, and we are committed to ensuring that our customers benefit from unforeseen financial gains in light of the Australian government’s cancellation of non-urgent elective surgery in private hospitals to free up critical health resources,” Medibank CEO Craig Drummond said. “We recognise that we have an important role to play in supporting all Australians during this difficult period.”