It’s that time of the year when crime and other statistics drastically increase – burglaries and theft in particular.
In line with this, motor vehicle insurance brand AMI Insurance is advising Kiwis to plan and keep safe over the Christmas period. We have to face facts – bad things can happen when we’re on holiday, AMI resident insurance expert Chris Kiddey said.
Here are the top 10 tips, as outlined by AMI Insurance, to keeping safe and secure over the holidays:
- If you’re going to be away, put a couple of lights on a timer, get a friend to empty the mail and drop in once or twice, make himself a cup of tea and park in the driveway. Consider getting someone to house sit.
- Keep your car locked and alarmed at all times. Place valuable items carefully out of sight.
- Don’t park in an isolated spot.
- Get your car checked ahead of a summer road trip.
- Stick to the speed limit – no matter how good a driver you think you are.
- Take plenty of rests, and share the driving to make sure the driver is awake and alert at all times.
- Secure a good first aid kit, bottled water and a fire extinguisher in the car.
- With regard to Christmas decorations, don’t do anything that risks setting your Christmas tree on fire. Don’t use old, dodgy Christmas lights (LED lights are best).
- When spending time on the beach, consider using an old sunscreen container or something similar to store jewellery, keys and cash.
- If you’re out in the sun, wear a hat, apply sunscreen and swim between the flags at the beach. Oh, and be a tidy Kiwi!