Claims number climbs after Cyclone Debbie destruction

Claims number climbs after Cyclone Debbie destruction | Insurance Business

Claims number climbs after Cyclone Debbie destruction
Insurers are starting to receive a deluge of claims in the wake of Cyclone Debbie, as flooding due to the ex-tropical cyclone further compounds the damage bill.

According to the Insurance Council of Australia (ICA), about 3,500 claims had rolled in after the system devastated North Queensland.

Want the latest insurance industry news first? Sign up for our completely free newsletter service now.

“It’s going to be very big,” Andrew Steel, the Townsville-based chief executive of Steel Pacific Insurance Brokers, told The Courier-Mail.

The brokerage has so far received almost 100 claims, from Mackay to Prosperpine, and expects the number to significantly ramp up Friday and Monday as there are still a lot of people who are  getting over the disaster or could not yet reach affected zones.

Major insurer Suncorp has so far logged 1,200 claims, while Racq has had 397 and Youi 372, almost all for home and contents damage. Allianz, meanwhile, had 40 as of Thursday morning, the report said. IAG has taken around 300 claims, mostly for damages to property from its CGU and NRMA brands.


Related stories:
Ex-tropical cyclone still dangerous
“Monster” storm downgraded, but threat remains
Catastrophe declared as Cyclone Debbie makes landfall
“Monster” cyclone prompts evacuations