We use cookies to improve this site and enable full functionality. You can change your cookie settings at any time using your browser. Our cookie policy.

Insurance millionaire shot – trial latest

Insurance millionaire shot – trial latest

Insurance millionaire shot – trial latest It has been one of the more eye-catching insurance-themed stories of the year – and the twists in the trial of a gunned down insurance millionaire just keep on coming.

It was back in February that Timothy Mardon, 51, division president at Ace Tempest Re, claims he was blasted in the thigh through a closed bedroom door leaving him with “life changing” injuries in a “brutal” burglary in which he was mistook for a drug dealer. However, the defendants in the case have denied the charges.

Now, in a report from Chelmsford Crown Court, covered in the Maldorn Standard, Kalebh Shreeve, 24, of Sible Hedingham stated that he was not involved in the shooting having been accused of being the getaway driver. He instead claims that he was asleep at the time.

Shreeve is on trial alongside Charlie Simms, 23, of Great Yeldham, and Christopher Bergin, 27, of Halstead, all of whom deny aggravated burglary, possession of a firearm and possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life. Simms is additionally accused of attempted murder, which he also denies.

In the latest news from the court, Shreeve outlined that he had driven to pick up a woman in Sudbury at Bergin’s request on the night of the incident before returning to Bergin’s home. He then claims that the trio “rolled a joint” at Bergin’s home before a “very excited” Simms arrived at the property around 15 minutes later.

According to the Maldorn Standard, Shreeve said in court: “He pulled a gun out from his jacket and put it on the bed. It was a shotgun with two barrels. He said to CJ [Bergin] about doing the Rectory [where Shreeve had previously worked]. He said ‘let’s do the mansion’.”

Shreeve denied talking to Simms about working at the Rectory or speaking about the potential of drugs being in the home.

In his recollection of events, Shreeve stated that he left the house 15 minutes later to meet a friend who was buying drugs, with Simms shouting to him and asking him to wait. Shreeve claims that Simms appeared moments later with a shotgun and threatened to “nut him in the face” if he didn’t take him in his car.

Shreeve claims he drove Simms to meet a drug dealer between Braintree and Witham before dropping Simms back at Bergin’s house and driving his friend back to Great Yeldham. He claims to have returned home at 2.45am and that he didn’t return to Bergin’s home.

Records reportedly show that Bergin attempted to call him at around 5:25am – but that Shreeve did not answer as he only saw the call when he woke up.

When asked about the shooting he commented: “I couldn’t believe it. I had a rough thought I knew who it was.” He added that he was scared of Simms who he claimed had stolen his wages for around two months.

Shreeve had been employed at the Old Rectory by Mrs Mardon but had lost his job for arriving late and leaving early.

The trial continues.

Related stories:
“Living nightmare” for millionaire insurance boss shot by burglar
Ex-insurance worker remains missing after husband’s murder