RIMS has announced its new president for the 2021 term. The global risk management society, with membership of 10,000 risk management professionals in over 60 countries, has selected Ellen R. Dunkin, Esq. (pictured) to take the helm, effective January 01.
With more than 25-years of industry experience, Dunkin is an accomplished business leader, fluent in driving strategic and enterprise risk management programs, as well as overseeing legal initiatives for companies. She is currently the senior vice president, general counsel and chief risk officer for Amalgamated Life Insurance Company in White Plains, New York. In previous roles, she’s worked with companies like Crump Group, Inc.; Marsh & McLennan Companies, Inc.; and Willkie Farr & Gallagher.
Dunkin has been involved with RIMS for many years. Between 1998 and 2007, she was employed by the society as its general counsel and director of government affairs. She’s been a member of RIMS for nearly 15 years and was actively involved with RIMS New York Chapter, serving as its president from 2015 to 2016.
In 2017, Dunkin joined RIMS’ global board of directors, where she acted as a liaison to the society’s finance, annual conference programming, membership, student involvement and Canada committees and councils. She was also a Spencer Educational Foundation board of director in 2000.
“Risk professionals from around the world met 2020’s challenges with fervor, delivering critical insight that allowed their organizations to adapt and emerge stronger,” Dunkin commented. “However, it’s up to us, risk professionals, to go one step further. We must continue to promote the value that we add, our impact on business development and position ourselves as indispensable strategic advisors who are pivotal to future success.
“As RIMS president, I want to continue what my predecessors started. With the support of an exceptional group of board directors, passionate volunteers and dedicated staff, this society will remain focused on developing resources to address evolving risks and that empower this professional community to demonstrate just how indispensable they really are.”
The complete list of officers on the RIMS 2021 board of directors is:
• President: Ellen R. Dunkin, Esq.; senior vice president, general counsel & chief risk officer, Amalgamated Life Insurance Company, a Member of the Amalgamated Family of Companies.
• Vice President: Patrick Sterling, SPHR, SHRM-SCP; senior director, legendary people and risk management, Texas Roadhouse.
• Treasurer: Jennifer Santiago, MBA, RIMS-CRMP, ARM; assistant vice president & chief risk officer, The Pennsylvania State University.
• Secretary: David E. Arick, ARM; assistant treasurer, global risk management, International Paper Company.
New board members are:
• Kevin Bates; group head of risk & insurance, Lendlease.
• Christy Kaufman, CPCU; head of governance, risk and compliance, American Family Ventures.
• Penni Nelson; assistant vice president, risk management, Hillwood a Perot Company.
Incumbent board members are:
• Barry Dillard; vice president of risk management services, Walt Disney World Resorts and Disney Cruise Line.
• Twane Duckworth; managing director – risk management, City of Garland, Texas.
• Tina Gardiner; manager, risk management services, The Regional Municipality of York (Ontario).
• Gary A. Nesbit, RIMS-CRMP, CPCU, CSP, ARM, AIC, ALCM, SPHR; senior director of risk management, Young Life.
• Kristen Peed, AIC, ARM-E, CPCU, CRM, RPLU; director of corporate risk management, CBIZ, Inc.
• Robert Zhang; business risk & compliance manager, INGKA China.
• Ex Officio: Laura Langone, JD, MBA; head of insurance operations, Airbnb, Inc.