The start of 2020 brings with it change at the helm of global risk management society RIMS, which has today announced a new president. Laura Langone will lead the society for the year as its 66th president. The appointment is effective January 01.
Notably, Langone is head of insurance operations at Airbnb. She’s not new to RIMS, becoming a member 22 years ago and joining its board of directors in 2016. Langone has been active in RIMS’ Silicon Valley Chapter, where she served as president for four years. A press release noted that she also volunteered on several RIMS committees, as well as chairing the Society’s Enterprise Risk Management Committee in 2015.
Besides Airbnb, Langone has experience from PayPal, as head of insurance and risk management, and Juniper Networks. Her other senior roles have spanned companies like Genentech, Marsh, Oracle Corporation, Gordon & Rees, LLP.
“Today’s risk professional can’t afford to be complacent,” stated Langone in the press release. “While the world around us evolves, especially with the introduction of new technologies, we must be ready to embrace different perspectives, different strategies and dare ourselves to be different. Stepping outside of our comfort zone can be intimidating, but those who are ready for the challenge will find greater opportunities to strengthen their risk programs and elevate their careers.
“I am beyond excited to serve as RIMS 2020 president and to help ensure this global risk management community offers the tools, resources and support that allows us all to dream bigger, aim higher and be different.”
Other officers on RIMS’ 2020 board of directors include:
- Vice president: Ellen R. Dunkin, senior vice president, general counsel and chief risk officer from Amalgamated Life Insurance Company
- Treasurer: Patrick Sterling, senior director, legendary people and risk at Texas Roadhouse
- Secretary: Jennifer Santiago, assistant vice president and university risk officer at Pennsylvania State University
New board members include:
- Twane Duckworth, chief of risk management for the City of Jacksonville
- Tina Gardiner, manager of risk management services for the Regional Municipality of York (Ontario)
Finally, the list of incumbent board members includes:
- David E. Arick, assistant treasurer, global risk management at the International Paper Company
- Barry Dillard, director, risk strategies, insurance and compliance at Walt Disney World Resorts
- Gary A. Nesbit, senior director of risk management for Young Life
- Soubhagya Parija, senior vice president and chief risk officer for the New York Power Authority
- Kristen Peed, director of corporate risk management for CBIZ
- Robert Zhang, business risk and compliance manager at INGKA China
- Ex Officio: Gloria Brosius, director, risk management and insurance for Pinnacle Agriculture Distributions