Mangione state murder trial in indefinite limbo after double jeopardy challenge

State proceedings are frozen while his lawyers fight to have the charges dismissed - and federal sentencing is still months away

Mangione state murder trial in indefinite limbo after double jeopardy challenge

Insurance News

By Mark Rosanes

Luigi Mangione's New York state murder trial has been postponed indefinitely. His lawyers filed to dismiss the case on double jeopardy grounds. The plea was entered last Friday in the killing of UnitedHealthcare chief executive Brian Thompson.

Judge Gregory Carro canceled the September 8 trial start date on Monday. The Manhattan District Attorney's office has until October 9 to respond. The next court date is December 10, a week before federal sentencing on December 18, according to the Associated Press.

Mangione, 28, pleaded guilty last Friday to two stalking counts covering surveillance of Thompson, travel to New York, and the December 4, 2024 shooting. Prosecutors have said they will seek life in prison at sentencing. There was no plea agreement, and the judge is not bound by guidelines that suggest 24 to 30 years.

During his allocution, Mangione disclosed for the first time that he posed as a potential investor managing over $50 billion in assets. He emailed UnitedHealth Group leadership to confirm the location of its investor conference. The emails let him track Thompson's movements before the shooting, NBC News reported.

The double jeopardy argument

Immediately after the federal plea, Mangione's defense attorney Karen Friedman Agnifilo filed to dismiss the state charges under New York's double jeopardy law. New York's protections extend beyond the US Constitution. State law bars successive prosecutions based on the same criminal act or transaction.

Mangione's lawyers wrote that the conduct underlying the stalking conviction was "coterminous" with the conduct underlying the murder charge, according to the AP. Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg's office said it was prepared to litigate the motion. The DA cited Mangione's unresolved federal sentencing as reason to keep the state case open.

Legal experts are divided. Anthony Capozzolo, a former Manhattan DA prosecutor, told CNN dismissal was "more likely than not." Gershman told Reuters the charges have different elements and, therefore, target different harms. The DA could also drop the state charges voluntarily if satisfied with the federal sentence, according to CNN.

Where the case stands

Mangione still faces eight state charges, including second-degree murder, to which he has pleaded not guilty. The state case carries a possible life sentence.

The extreme emotional disturbance defense his team had been preparing is now on hold. Under New York law, that defense can reduce a murder conviction to manslaughter. It had been central to the planned September trial.

For insurers and risk managers, the legal timeline keeps the case in the public eye. More than a third of the largest US-listed insurers raised executive security budgets after the Thompson shooting and have not come down. With federal sentencing in December and the state proceedings unresolved, the case will stay an active story through at least the end of 2026.

Related Stories

Keep up with the latest news and events

Join our mailing list, it’s free!