Provincial agricultural agency to provide hay disaster benefit to Manitoba farmers

Provincial agricultural agency to provide hay disaster benefit to Manitoba farmers | Insurance Business

Provincial agricultural agency to provide hay disaster benefit to Manitoba farmers

Farmers are being notified by the Manitoba Agricultural Services Corporation (MASC) that the Hay Disaster Benefit (HDB) has been activated.

The HDB triggers whenever at least 20% of producers with either Select Hay or Basic Hay Insurance harvest less than 50% of their long term average hay yield. All insurable hay types – which include alfalfa, alfalfa grass mixtures, grasses, sweet clover and coarse hay – will be covered by the disaster benefit.

mySteinbach.ca reported that the estimated payout for 2019 is over $5 million, for about 1,500 claims. Those producers who filed a claim will each receive an additional $40 for each tonne below their select Hay or Basic Hay Insurance coverage.

“We recognize it has been a difficult harvest for many farmers in Manitoba,” explained Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada Minister Marie-Claude Bibeau. “The Hay Disaster Benefit is one of the ways our government is supporting farmers to protect their businesses against weather-related risks, such as this forage shortfall.”

Manitoba Agriculture and Resource Development Minister Blaine Pedersen added that all producers enrolled in either the Select Hay Insurance and Basic Hay Insurance programs are eligible for the HDB.

The federal government pays 60% of the HDB’s premiums, while the remaining 40% comes from the province of Manitoba under the Canadian Agricultural Partnership.